Tuesday, February 22, 2022

One More Before We Go

No, not a cup of tea, this is my new dice box! (Part of our Christmas package from my bro-in-law,  just had the last of the tea this morning.

Should be just thing for taking to Huzzah! or 'Fall In'! 

I've reviewed the three or four attempts to switch my ACW games to Brigade units since 2019, gave it some thought and have hopefully come up with a better way to suit my needs and wants. Essentially, I want to get most if not all of my 1/72 ACW troops on my 4'x6' table and play a fast paced game within four hours whether they are a  generic scenario/tabletop teaser, or a refight of one of the smaller battles, Iuka, Cedar Run or similar without losing the flavour of my Plastic Army of the Potomac rules.  The first 1.5 sides of a page reference sheet has been written (see here if curious), the armies reorganized from 4 brigades each of 4 regiments of 3 stands each into  6 brigades of 8 stands each. 

So that's the same number of figures but 6 infantry units a side to handle vs the 16 units per side in last Saturday's game.  So, using a photo of the deployment on Saturday, I've matched it as well as I could with the different organization. 


Waiting for the first card to be drawn.

If all goes well, there'll be a battle report tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. I do love your 1/72 ACW collection. The images always remind me of Donald Featherstone books - only this time in colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dice tin is terrific and looks the part. The final photo of the post is almost like a birds eye view of a real battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dice tin; snakerail fencing + white picket signpost; sky blue backdrop.... the only thing missing is a brass band striking up a jaunty tune near the crossroad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've locked them in the cupboard till they get they ditch the bearskins, get appropriate uniforms and learn how to play.

      Delete
  4. Oh ! I do like your new dice box - you can't beat a tin box (so rare nowadays)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the battle, as no doubt are you

    ReplyDelete
  6. The eternal quest for the right balance among figures, units, space, and playing time continues: carry on, MacDuff!
    Love the tea tin for dice storage: that's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to setting it on a table at Huzzah! Just not sure yet if I will make this year.

      Delete
  7. Ross Nac,

    That’s a great tin to store your dice in!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely dice storage facility Ross…
    The table setup looks great…and the toys are as always delightful…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dice can is perfect - fits right in. Am I correct that it looks like that's a bigger game than usual? Or is it just the set-up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its actually a smaller acw game than usual. Might look bigger because the axis has been turned 90 degrees to my usual so wider frontage with more room for the battline and some open flanks but no room for approach marches before deployment or on table reserves.

      Reaching the middle of an army with its back to the wall is a bit tricky for a short guy with short arms...takes all my limited tai chi to extend that far.

      Delete
  10. Jonathan Freitag has left a new comment on your post "One More Before We Go":

    This is a great dice box!

    OOps, sorry Jonathon, apparently if one's finger hits the wrong button, you can't undo a delete typo, so I am manually pasting in your comment.

    ReplyDelete