Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Battalion! By Company! Reeee_BASE!

Some readers may have noticed that my plans don't always (no sniggering!) survive contact with implementation, but there are some threads that weave through my attempts. Logic, alas, does not seem to have much influence on the eventual outcomes of said plans.

Anyway, every now and then I get an idiotic urge to bring everything into line, same basing, same style of rules,  etc. etc..  Then, I recover and get back to enjoying some variety. This time I caught myself early. My one set of "Horse & Musket" armies for scenarios, has officially turned into 3 because they already existed and I wasn't really ready to let any of them go. So I switched my sights to my 54's. Having stuck them onto bases again a few years back, they weren't really giving me a different sort of game and they were appearing less often. I was starting to wonder if it was time to let them go . 

Battalionssssss, DEEEeee BASE!

Yup, took about 30 seconds to change tack and start looking for other options, starting with past blog posts. In short, overall, the small, story driven, 54mm actions were generally more fun than the bigger, long drawn out battles. So, I decided that its time to downsize my 54mm forces and to focus on small actions, and to once again fall back to individual figures, partly because I like the look, partly because it can sometimes add to the storyline, and partly because it will be a change from battles on a crowded tabletop. 

 


18 comments:

  1. Rebasing can be a chore but is worth it in the end. Single bases do have a certain flexibility.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough, but I'm in the process of adding more movement trays to my collection to maneuver loads of single bases more efficiently. That's probably why Ross oscillates between approaches. :D

      Delete
    2. I've rebased so many times that I have it down to a quick routine :)

      Delete
  2. They're far too nice to let go of, particularly the Regimental goat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's too tough to eat anyway, after near 60 years of service!

      Delete
  3. Rebasing a hidden pleasure in wargaming.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let... them... go... Thank goodness it was only temporary insanity ;-) I base my units as a mix of multiple figures on a base along with a few singles. Thankfully it works for me as I hate re-basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebasing is probably a learned tool for avoiding spending money on more miniatures.

      Delete
  5. Ross Mac,

    Whatever you do, DON'T DOWNSIZE YOUR COLLECTION! It's given you - and those of us who read your blog - years and years of enjoyment ... and will do for many years to come!

    My twopennyworth!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, The figures in the cupboards that never appear do not give anyone pleasure. So far, every downsize seems to result in more and better games and better narratives when I write them up. That might be an illusion but I'm sticking with it!

      Delete
    2. Ross Mac,

      I can relate to your thinking. (I did not realise that you were talking about stuff that was unused and in cupboards.) I am going to concentrate my future efforts of my Belle Époque project, and will eventually downsize my other collections ... and possibly get rid of them altogether. The house doctoring that I did on my toy/wargame room, which led to almost all my collections going into storage made me realise that I have far too much stuff, a lot of which I will never, ever use.

      All power to your downsizing,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. I got into this hobby because of the toy soldiers. But I stay in it because of the secret joys of rebasing. (I say that in jest, and yet, it's not entirely untrue - I find a certain satisfaction in organizing things, and it's no fun if they don't need to be reorganized every now and then!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing about toy soldiers is that they thrive on the attention rebasing gives them….
    But if you really want to down size I have a couple of perfectly good shelves that need to be filled 😈😁😁😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If you don't like the way the figures are based...just wait a moment." Kind like the weather in the Maritimes, eh?

    And I agree with Mr. Cordery. Don't downsize. Where else am I going to see this kind of fun.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but experience teaches me that too many choices leads to fewer games.

      Delete