EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Steady Boys!


Well, here they are, ready to defend hearth and home. Two 2 hour sessions to assemble and paint. I took yet another step towards a proper toy soldier look. I not only resisted all urges towards shading (and that ain;t easy) but I also didn't paint the musket barrels (and that was even harder!). But, once glossed, they look just that little bit more traditional toy soldier-ish for having that little bit less detail.

I think the think oval (peel n' stick flex steel + sawdust) bases help too. Smooth and glossy would be better but....... When I out a 2nd coat of varnish on, maybe I'll varnish the bases. Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    Very impressive!

    One expects them to acquit themselves well defending their hearths and home.

    All bthe best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I trust they shall see off the Damn Yankees.

    ReplyDelete