Well, here they are, ready to defend hearth and home. Two 2 hour sessions to assemble and paint. I took yet another step towards a proper toy soldier look. I not only resisted all urges towards shading (and that ain;t easy) but I also didn't paint the musket barrels (and that was even harder!). But, once glossed, they look just that little bit more traditional toy soldier-ish for having that little bit less detail.
I think the think oval (peel n' stick flex steel + sawdust) bases help too. Smooth and glossy would be better but....... When I out a 2nd coat of varnish on, maybe I'll varnish the bases. Maybe.