Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Finding the words

The latest version of With MacDuff To The Frontier has been loaded to google docs and to my website and edited and re-edited. (speaking of editing I need to spend some time fixing html on my website)

Apart from the difficulties  of simplifying in a logical and intuitive way, the biggest problem was writing the rules, which I tend to look on as guide lines which I bend to suit the scenario more than a polished game,  in a way where my intent and common practice could be understood by readers.  A couple of times, I even caught myself changing rules to make them easier to express which is just wrong headed. I now see that this has been an issue in the past.

Clear and concise is good. Confused and wordy seems to be easier.

The other difficulty was in keeping the objective firmly in mind. This is not supposed to be competition for Hearts of Tin, it is meant to be complementary.  Very roughly each stand in HofT becomes a unit with 2-4 times as many figures in MacDuff and each turn becomes 2-4 turns. There is some over lap and 1 thing I intend to do is set up Sawmill Village again and refight it. It worked fine as a HofT game with a Division a side. It'll be interesting to try it again with MacDuff and roughly the same number of figures representing roughly a Brigade per side.      

No comments:

Post a Comment