Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Aux armes, citoyens, Formez vos batteries!

I decided that my WWI French force deserved its own artillery.


I have two more Crescent WW1 18 pdrs in hand but while the Germans are making do with the same somehow it just did not seem right to make the French do the same. None the less,  I did not have a 75 to give them.

I decided to check the cupboard and this is what I found:


What I found was a cheap copy of a Marx howitzer, a surplus Sash & Sabre Napoleonic cannon, and some cardboard, later replaced by some thin plywood.

Oddly enough my childhood Marx  Miniature Masterpiece Over The Top WW1 playset included  a 25mm version of this same howitzer for the French.

Anyway, putting these bits together gave me this:


As an accurate model its a disgrace, as a toy gun, I rather like it and so do "mes enfants"!


19 comments:

  1. Ross,
    Nice little simple conversion- good thinking there. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant conversion ! I admire your bravery in pulling metal models apart .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No metal models were damaged during the process. The 9 pounder had lost its barrel years ago,(I forget how) I dropped a spare PA barrel on it for the photo!

      Delete
  3. "Du très bon travail mon ami!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, totally matches my own philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific looking gun - it'll fit in splendidly

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly looks the part to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing really, just had to look at the available parts the right way.

      Delete
  7. You have put together a wonderful conversion there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed with the previous comments. Wargamer's ingenuity at its best. I love it!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on the guns, Ross, bravo!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It could have used some polishing but it was a matter of impulse.

      Delete