Monday, March 4, 2019

Bring Up The Guns!

Meanwhile, back at Fort Belmont, work continues.
3" Ordinance Rifle vs 9pdr RML
BMC vs BMC/AIP conversion
I really like my antique Britains' guns but I only have two and they aren't easy to come by around here. When one does pop up online they tend to be beyond my current budget. To remedy my shortage of guns I indulged in an AIP sale to buy a couple of Boer War guns even though they are somewhat later my selected period.

My whole painted 54mm artillery park from BMC ACW guns to Boer War Britains' Boer War era 15 pdr RBL and AIP's version of the same gun now masquerading as the earlier 9pdr Armstrong  RBL, and a BMC/AIP hybrid 9pdr RML plus, of course, AIP's Gatling. 
 My rebels needed some ACW guns but all that was left of my score or so  of plastic ACW guns and limbers were a couple of limber horses but the armies went to a good cause (the HAWKS armies for kids initiative) so I don't regret their departure.

I contemplated buying the Miniature Moulds Parrott mould but I also needed more limbers and it occurred to me that one can still get cheap bags of BMC guns and limbers.

Got some work to do here.

Once I had the set of 6 guns and 6 horse-less limbers in hand, I realized I could slightly modify two of the gun carriages to hold the spare AIP RML barrels to kluge a 9 pdr RML on a simple wooden carriage such as those used in Canada.

Hmm, now that I've painted four more guns I suppose I should add another crew for each side as well as doing the limbers, only token two horse teams I'm afraid, the table's not big enough for more.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Even cheap toy guns tend to look good once painted and shined up.

      Delete
  2. Ah ! limbers and teams - how I hate painting them - but nothing looks better on a tabletop ! .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah to have the funds to buy factory painted toy soldier equipment!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm going to need more men and a bigger table if I ever want to use them all in a game.

      Delete
  4. An impressive knowlege of both the ordnance if the period (which I tend to get lost in) and the castings available. Your artillery park looks splendid to my eye—I’m always doubly impressed when I see limbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thik "illusory knowledge" is the term you are looking for Ed :) Its amazing how hard it is to come by information on late 19thC guns of course it was a time of experimentation and some guns were officially in service for vary short times. Of course the backwaters of the Empire was often blessed with the rejects and often had to improvise things like carriages.

      No limbers, no ammunition, but they were sooooo much easier to accomodate in 15mm.

      Delete