Friday, March 1, 2019

For King and Country and the Prize.

Winter is easing and I made the first trek of the year into Halifax for a game with Ron.


We picked up where we left off with Osprey's naval rules and the grid. We spend a fair amount of time experimenting with trying to get as close to the off grid game without losing the benefits of clarity and simplicity that the hex grid brings.



The main issues centered around using 2" moves with 30 degree turns and 8 point wind on a grid of 4" hexes with 6 points and 60 degree angles. Doubling all moves and gun ranges would have simplifies things but robbed us of all manouevring room.

Eventually we settled on a satisfactory compromise and the game proceeded full speed ahead. We allowed ships making a single 2" move to straddle a gridline, (ie 1/2 in each hex) but to only be able to turn when reaching the centre after moving forward and to only make turns of 60 or 120 degrees . We also settled on a fire arc based on the grid pattern.

The game proceeded under full speed allowing us to focus on seamanship and tactics.

Alas the time ran out just after my brilliant manouvres had placed me in just the right spot and aspect to benefit from a sudden windshift at just the right time.  As it was I had managed to sink a ship of the line and a frigate in exchange for minor damage.

The Garrison Brewery used to use bottlecaps with a cannon stamped on them. Ron has hoarded these for years waiting for a use for thrm. Here they are marking ships that have fired.

Once you've put yourself alongside an enemy and run out the guns,  sometimes luck is all the skill you need.

I do like the game though. It reminds me of long ago days  on the West Coast, sailing Whalers and also of  Officer of the Watch  manouvres on the bridge of one of the ex-sweepers we trained on and later on a destroyer.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As a bonus they brew good beer, I'm quite partial to their Brown Ale.

      Delete
  2. Ooh most interesting. Once I`ve finished (painting) my Zulus.. and once I`ve finished my Mexican wars.. and finally have time to finish panting Sharpe`s Napoleonics, I plan to dig out my "Sails of Glory" to add some ships to my games. Lovely welcome surprise to see you also have the Naval quarter suitably covered in your own games :-)

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my ships but having friends mean I get to play things that I don't have at home.

      Delete
  3. Inspirational post and lovely table. I have the rules but have yet to try them. I should give them a go with my Pirates of the Burning Sea ships.

    ReplyDelete