Friday, March 29, 2019

Wargaming the AWI, Past and Present

One of those weeks. Didn't get much hobby time but I did manage to grab the 2nd last spot in Alan Coughlin's (https://derresinkavalier.blogspot.com/)  54mm AWI game at Huzzah!. {Whew!)

The last survivors of my 2001 54mm AWI armies. (Well, them and a score of friends< I really need to find them a new home where they can get some TLC and exercise)
This brings back fond memories of March 2001 when two friends and I were headed down to Cold Wars in Lancaster PA where I was scheduled to run two 54mm AWI games. One was a LittleWars Yahoo group "bring your own figures" Battle of Hubbarton, the other was Montgomery's New Year's Eve assault on Quebec, complete with town, walls and cliffs. The cliffs were cardboard boxes full of troops and buildings etc which were emptied and covered by a couple of Christmas village snow cloths.  I only had a little hatchback for three men, two 54m armies and the city of Quebec so, whoever rode in the backseat on that 20 hour drive had to sit with a box full of troops on his lap. 

On the day before we were due to leave a sudden, unexpected, heavy, snowstorm was predicted to hit on the next day. I got hold of Tom and gave him 30  minutes to pack while I loaded the car. Together we drove around the Dalhousie campus where Bruce was adding another Master's to his credentials. Luckily we spotted him, grabbed him, gave him 10 minutes to pack. We hit my Mom's place outside Fredericton just after midnight, grabbed a few hours sleep and headed out again. We made it to the outskirts of Portland before hubcap deep snow on the Interstate forced us  into a motel. In the morning the road ahead was clear and by noon we were at the Toy Soldier Museum in Pennsylvania and stripped down to our tshirts. The road behind was closed for two days! Called that one right and we had a great long weekend.

Hard to believe that I don't have even a single picture of that game, not even of the practice ones. Thank goodness for smartphones these days.


MacDuff at Huzzah 2014 when my carts were new, built for this game and my long gone 40mm AWI collection. (20mm, 40mm and 54mm AWI armies have all come and gone, maybe I should do a PA semiflat one, just a small one.....)

I did manage to fix a broken part one of my old carts this week but not to touch up the paint or replace the missing draft horse. Still its the weekend, rife with possibilities.

5 comments:

  1. One of my regrets is the fact that I don't have a single photo of my earlier wargaming 'career' - as far as evidence goes the 70's virtually didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who thought of those things then? We were young, probably short on cash, and the most advanced camera I has access to was a Kodak pocket camera (a nice camera, but certainly no 35mm SLR. The better pictures are those from your long time gaming buddies, and usually start with "Remember when..." You might not think them as accurate as your "pictures" of the same game, but that's one of the best things about this hobby--old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. The shared memories with friends are the best but not much good on the blog :)

    I had an slr from college days till I went digital but it was too bulky to drag to cons and even with a smartphone in my pocket I often forget to use it. Too busy having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ross, Hope all is well with you...I played with my son in your MacDuff at HUZZAH 2014 game above and it remains one of the most fun times we've ever had wargaming. Best Regards, Scott Wetherell, Boston, MA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott, good to hear from you. Yes I remember that, and in particular the Sunday Fort MacDuff game with just the 3 of us. All the rest sort of blur together! Hopefully next year I'll make it down again.

      Delete