Friday, March 8, 2019

Time for Every Other Purpose

There is nothing like deciding to do some particular hobby thing to make free time shrink. However, some progress has been made and tomorrow (knock knock)  looks like a day off for me.
Furbishing and refurbishing in progress.
Of course, finding time and light and quiet for painting is harder some days than time for thinking about rules etc. For example I can do the latter, but not the former, when having couch time with a couple of hounds.

This means I've had another read through the rules and have realized that I had missed a few things and need to rethink one or two things.

The first is that I was imagining more rules about the "riflemen" unit type than actually exist. For example, I was imagining a fire benefit beyond range, melee penalties beyond reduced SP and better ability to move and shoot in woods. So, in order for my musket armed light infantry to be of much use, I am going to have to treat them as Riflemen straight up. Luckily, officially there were no US rifle units present at Crysler's Farm so I don't need to represent their superior accuracy or their reduced melee ability for this game. I find it odd that my Mohawk warriors and Voltigeurs don't move through woods better than line infantry but I can live with it.

I'm not quite sure what to make about the rules for shooting in and out of woods except to be sure that I am misunderstanding something. As written, a unit must be on the edge of a wood to fire out which is fine. However, a unit not in the woods can fire at a unit which is not on the edge, a unit which cannot shoot back!  Well, maybe in woods elsewhere but not the kind of woods we have, you can't see 10 feet into the woods around here from a position outside of the woods. Visibility does open up a little once you get past the thick underbrush on the edges so the 2 square range inside woods is fine, especially since it means there is an option for  a firefight in woods.  I think I'm just going to add a house rule that says troops outside a wood may only fire at a unit on the edge. Tit for tat.

The artillery effectiveness seems a bit too severe for fighting in America, far too easy to get to a point of automatic hits for my taste. For now I'm going to play them as is but the British will have to consolidate their guns and all fire from the gunboats will treated as more than 2 squares.

Lastly there are the Commanders, the rules allow them to make a very significant contribution to shooting and melee and there are situations where this would be appropriate. At Crysler's Farm though, the British were very ably commanded by the Colonel of the 89th but he seems to have been too busy commanding to engage in any heroics. On the other side the US Brigadiers seem to have been fairly active but the acting commander also seems to have had his hands full just trying to get through the day. So, for this battle only, I am not going to represent the Brigade commanders and will prohibit the "army" commanders from joining any units.

Right! First priority for Saturday is get the table cleared and reset and finish getting the small armies table ready. I'm hoping to play in the afternoon but if not I'll at least get set up for a Sunday game.
 

10 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    The rule regarding units firing into woods was written to prevent units firing at maximum range into woods, and was done as their ability to see targets would be obscured. Please feel free to reduce the range to one grid area if the woods you are representing are more overgrown than the more managed ones found in many parts of Europe.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob I have no problem with the situation are both in the woods, its the rule allowing troops outside the wood to fire through 2 areas of wood at a target that is not allowed to fire back at the unit in the open.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ross,
    When we play any period we generally define the type of wooded area in which we are fighting. For example, a heavily wooded area with thick undergrowth - and here I am thinking about jungles and dense old growth forest such as we still find here in North America - only troops on the edge of a woods may fire and/or be fired upon. However, if they are in ambush mode, then they might be visible to the enemy only with great difficulty. Troops inside the woods can neither fire out nor be fired upon and move with great penalty. In the case of the type of woods we used to have here on Long Island when both brush and most trees were chopped down to provide firewood for New York City, then visibility into the woods occurs to a depth of three inches (it can be more depending upon the period and locale). In the case of man made woods like those we find in the Carolinas and Georgia or in the case of orchards, visibility is rather unobstructed but the tree doprovide cover to individual figures. Moving in all woods is difficult with units in formation finding very sticky going but units like your Native peoples (I would say Native Americans but you are in Canada. Native Canadians?) would hardly give moving there a second thought.
    Have a great weekend.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, I live near one of the few areas of old growth forest left in Nova Scotia, forest that has never been cut. Once you've gotten a few hundred yards in, its amazing how open it is. The dense canopy blocks the sunlight and discourages undergrowth. However this is not intended to be a detailed tactical system, nor is aimed primarily at North America. Since I am doing a playtest for my own curiosity, I don't want to change things more than can be avoided before I try them!

    As for our names, First Nations is used officially, or individual nations names but the whole continent is North American so native american is as apt for Canada as for the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you care to write to me at gypsy__dance@hotmail.com (double underscore) I have a bunch of stuff I am happy to send you (just looking for postage is all).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually no better still... a small swap :-)

      Delete
    2. What I want most at the moment is less crowded cupboards, more shelf space and fewer figures waiting to be painted. I'll drop you a line.

      Delete
  5. no worries lol, I quite understand. Was simply going to gift you about 3 or 400 28mm AWI soldiers, artillery, civilians, and native American Indians that I will never use hehe. Was looking for a couple of those cheap plastic Gettysburg cannon and limbers packs in return as swapsies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry no use for 28mm anything. :) Only 2 sizes I haven't dabbled in, 2mm and 28mm. (25mm and 30 mm yes but 28mm no.)

    But the cheap BMC cannon sets are easily available through Amazon. You get a bag of 6 of each with cheap shipping for not much more than the cost of me sending you 2 from here at public rates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries. Yes I know about the cannon from Amazon (sadly not available from Amazon.co.uk.... and the postage for ordering the bags from Amazon.com in America is the postage. They`re asking postage per bag equal to about three and a half times the actual cost of the bag.. ludicrous lol.

    ReplyDelete