Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Can You Hear The Drums?

Ahh, nostalgia! I have great affection for and memories of this mob, my first glossy toy soldier army. (My first 54mm armies, even the  Britain's recasts, that I did in the 90's were all matte and detailed.)

I'm glad now that I listened to the little voice that said "you've done enough damage already, put them aside until you understand what you want and what will be practical going forward."

They are almost ready for battle again. I even went out and bought some Polyfilla (spackle) to use on the bases instead of glue and sawdust. The end finish matches the table top better.

The Faraway Forces.

Only the Queen's Lancers and the General are relatively new additions, four or five years old and in 1870's tunics then. The rest are from 2007/9

Kyuquoit forces.

The Dark Lancers are a hasty repaint of Oberhilse's short lived Lancers, the White coated regulars and most of the irregulars are a few years old but the foreign volunteers including Brigadier Zinn with a new hot weather hat, are from the old days (well, not that old, 2007/9)

I need to finish the basing, add 4 more irregular skirmishers, make a few buildings and I'll be ready for a game.

12 comments:

  1. 'On revient toujours a son premier amour' goes for war gamers as much as for anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hardly a first love, being barely more than a decade old but perhaps a youngest child.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Armies Ross- you'l be chaffing at the bit to get them into action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are these the same figures that appear in your dramatic giant cat Blog Header?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two fine looking forces Ross. I really do like the Rocket Artillery, I wonder if there's some in 28mm....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised if their weren't. I'd also be surprised if there wasn't something similar at least in 1/72. These lads are converted from homecast 1900 Prussian gunners.

      Delete
  5. Looking good. I always mix a bit of paint in the filler - original idea was that if the filler chipped it wouldn't be a glaring white. Of course. I then spoiled by not bothering to paint over the filler and just leaving bases in the base filler colour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten that trick. This is the first spacle I've used this century. I switched to traction sand in the 90's
      But they don't sell it any more.

      Delete
  6. Ross Mac,

    A very impressive pair of armies! I look forward to seeing them in action soon!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete