Friday, May 29, 2020

Up Up and Away In My



By popular request. Some shots of one of the balloons a friend made for me a decade ago. 
2010 Picture of the first flightSee 2010 post North West Aeronautic Division.

They have seen action off and on since then and have appeared in quite a few blog posts but not many recently and there is no "balloon" label, so here are some more! 

The balloons themselves are plastic Halloween pumpkins, the baskets are made from textured plastic sheet and something for the wood frame (they came preprimed). Altitude is adjusted by inserting one of 3 perspex rods into the balloon, through a bit of brass in the basket and into a brass tube affixed to a large heavy-ish base. Ordinary garden twine from my shed provided the rigging. 

(I suppose the title probably shows my age, please note that this was NOT a favourite, just one of those earworms which received a lot of airplay in the '60's. But for those who are curious or nostalgic: https://youtu.be/2-UQ0-8ktAM

24 comments:

  1. Very clever model, and nice pics. Yes I remember the song too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish it hadn't come into my head when I was looking for a title for the post!

      Delete
  2. Song reminds me of Slimcea bread! Fantastic balloon model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Effective use for a plastic pumpkin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly wouldn't have made good pies! I admire people who can see the possibilities in things.

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing your balloons in various pics in past posts. I didn't realize they turned into pumpkins at midnight. But seriously, those work great for that purpose! I actually had a chance to go up in a balloon last year, but my fear of heights wouldn't let me do it.

    (I remember the song, too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those damn thins that popped into my head when looking for a blog post title and just wouldn't go away!

      Delete
  5. A delightful piece and a perfect example of re-purposing, your friend has crafted something that just looks so right in the model soldier world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pumpkin! I always wondered what they were made from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't show. I doubt it would have occurred to me.

      Delete
  7. A very nice model Balloon - you've got a handy Friend there Ross.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a lovely balloon... I shall be looking out for plastic pumpkins later in the year...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing a whole fleet ferrying an army over the Manche.

      Delete
  9. Great to see more photos of this lovely balloon—and to learn the secrets! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you can adjust the height - really nice work, Ross!

    ReplyDelete