Sunday, May 17, 2020

Where this came from and where its going


A few years ago, when I decided to trim my collection of toy soldiers again (still chasing the dream of having room to store/display and play with all of my "keepers" without duplication of period and game style), I hit one snag. The 40mm, 1840/50's British forces that I had initially created for campaigns in India didn't have an enemy and I had no idea when I was going to find/make one or an equivalent without duplicating my 54's. However, one has only to look at my blog header to see why I didn't want to let them go. Then the Great War bicentennial arrived and I decided that required my attention.
The Queen's troops  storming a Brethren of the Coast stronghold in  2009 during my play through of Scenarios for All Ages,

Now that "my" Great War is done and gone, and some of the Scruby Colonials, the figures that converted my to the shiny toy soldier look (See  Dick Larsen's Enfilade game) are available again, its time to get back to the planned Northern Atlantica Colonial campaign. 

I want it to be compatible with my 40mm War of 1812 as there are a number of units that  can do double duty when I'm in Toy Soldier mode and short a unit. (See "The Fox is in the Henns").


The last game, "The Fox is in the Henns"April 2017

I also want to go back to the look of the early days of these armies (see Blog Header) and of the last big Faraway vs the Brethren game before the Great War came to dominate things. However, I'm planning to stick with small quick games apart from special events so I am not planning the larger armies for this setting that I once dreamt about building.
Air and Sea expedition against the Brethren April 2017. Photo courtesy of The Newport Noodle

So here's what I expect to have available for a One Hour game sometime this week:

Faraway Trading Company
Brigadier Stonefort (Royal Army officer on Loan)
    Faraway Trading Company Troops:        Larsen's Lancers
        FTC Rocket Battery
        FTCM Landing Party (Heavy Gun
        Ross's Rifles
        (1st Kapelle Sepoys - not available)

Royal Faraway Army Brigade:
    The Buffs
    The Green Tigers
    The Royal Fusiliers
    Victoria Rifles

Royal Kyuqoit Army

General: ??
Household Lancers
Royal Grenadiers

Freedom Brigade (Foreign Volunteers )
1st Battalion
2nd Battalion
Brethren 
Mountain Battery

Provincial Forces
Local Scouts
Riders
2 x Local warriors 

Faraway forces currently  available for this campaign.

17 comments:

  1. Excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing these chaps - your blog banner is very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be a bit rushed and tge furbishing incomplete but there WILL be some kind of game this week.

      Delete
  2. A change is as good as a rest, looking forward to seeing the games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross Mac,

    I think that it is a splendid plan ... and I love the look of your Faraway forces! Ideal for One Hour and Portable Wargames. I wish that I could focus on doing something similar, but I seem to have more ideas that I have time to fulfil.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes time and dedication Bob. I'm sure writing several books, cruising the world and all your other work has kept you busy!

      Delete
  4. Hi Ross- I do like your Faraway Army - and your Naval Boats too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will see action Kev. Maybe not this week but they will be back.

      Delete
  5. This all looks brilliant - looking forward to the reports!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking forces and good luck with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the things I appreciate about your blog is that while the surface details shift and change, you always seem to have a very clear sense of what you are trying to do,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damned distractions but I think sometimes there is a subconscious fear that if I ever get a clear focus and do "It" then it'll be like a cake and once its eaten its done.

      Delete
  8. An instructive refocusing/recalibration exercise. Fun to see the iconic images from your blog banner out on the table, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They saw so much action in the early days of the blog and my webpage before, that it was a bit of a shock to realize how long they have been mostly absent.

      Delete
  9. I just love those photos Ross, everything about them makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete