Saturday, May 2, 2020

(Updated ) Reflections on Games "In the Days of King Arthur"

This week's focus on my Elastolin Prince Valiant figures has reminded me of three things.

Firstly, I get a great deal of pleasure from my Prince Valiant figures, converting and painting them,  playing games with them, and blogging the games.

Secondly, I don't really enjoy playing the sort of semi-roleplaying  game that our hobby calls 'skirmish' games.  I do quite like games based around what was called petite guerre in the 18thC, raids, ambushes and the like but played with simple, fast play rules and a half dozen or so small units rather than a few individuals.

A game of Grant's 'Wagontrain '  (my name)  scenario using one page rules called  Castle Dangerous that I wrote 2 years ago for this game with friends.

Thirdly, I blogged this same discussion last fall (see Battle by Lamplight), and reached the same conclusion that I reached last week.  The simple rules that I had come up two years ago for a one off Prince Valiant game with friends, based around 4 figure cavalry/archer and 8 figure infantry units plus characters, were about right for what I want to do and that's what I used for the Saxon counterattack in the previous post.
 
 Battle by Lamplight fought last September.
The rules need a new name since, due to a shortage of inspiration at the time, I called them  "Castle Dangerous". I like it but that was an historical fiction novel by Sir Walter Scott, set in 13thC  Scotland, and had nothing to do with Dark Age Britain or the world of Hal Foster's Prince Valiant.  They also need to be flushed out to cover more than the basics and, if I can find something I like better, I need an effective replacement for the armour saves that I initially used. 

The initial quick reference for a proposed merged version of the rules is now available for the curious. I've decided to use just the first part of the first name: Stout Hearts

But now its time to get back to the French Revolution and maybe some 19thC Colonial action.

12 comments:

  1. At the risk of overstating things, I absolutely LOVE your photographs of this game. It's like being nine years old again gazing at all of those Elastolin figures fighting across the table.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it feels likes on this side too. I had to amke do with my 25mm painted hardplastic Max knights and Vikings but they were pretty darned good substitutes!

      Delete
  2. I am reminded of a little action described by Charles Grant (Snr) in his little book 'Wargame Tactics'. The story - Ch11: 'The Fracas at Bray' involve neighbouring aristocrats, Count Sardonique and Baron Maladroit, and their following. A third, unknown party had ravaged the lands of 'both these worthies'; each blamed the other, and both determine to exact by force an appropriate requital.

    It transpired that both led their entourages in person, these following comprising in each 4 knights, 12 sergeants or men-at-arms and 15 bowmen. They met on the road at the village of Bray, standing on the south bank of a stream running west to east. Count Sardonique, coming from the north found the Baron's host coming up from the south about to enter the town. Opposite the town on the north bank and east of the road was a set of ten to a dozen haystacks. Apart from a few hills and woods of no real significance scattered about, there was a solitary cottage close by the riverbank some distance (several furlongs?) to the west of Bray itself. As the book's diagram actually omitted this feature, I don't know which side of the river it stood upon. However, the cottage is not significant in itself, except insofar as what its location might suggest.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring games, great photos and it is just lovely to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ross- I'd like to help you with a new name for your Rules...Perhaps: 'Days of Prince Valiant'...? I'm not terribly good at this- no doubt you will come up with a Title. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, I don't want to tie myself to close to Foster & Prince Valiant, Sutcliffe and others are equally important.

      Delete
  5. I like the name Castle Dangerous; it goes well with the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding action in the days of King Arthur you might want to check out GWENUVAR, and GWENUVAR, QUEEN in your Kindle. Also THE BOOK OF MERLIN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one is ever going to surpass Rosemary Sutcliffe's Sword at Sunset for a tale of the historical Arthur with bits of the legend storyline woven in, but, I'll check out Gewnuvar. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete