Saturday, July 4, 2020

Fort Ross? What?? How'd I miss this?

I was looking at developments in Rusland over on the Tradgardland blog and reading comments when I came across one from the ever helpful Man of Tin about the Russian built Fort Ross in California! 

 ( "HELLO!!" "Fort Ross?? Really?"......... "Well, we'll have to have one of those won't we?")

Probably just as well I didn't come across this 12 years ago when I was considering a "54-40" or fight, 40mm, 1840's British+Spanish vs US+Russian's pseudo-historical what if campaign. (The origin of Atlantica as we know it). I might have missed a lot of enjoyable explorations of metaphorical dead end streets. 
Re-creation of an actual historical Fort Ross in California.
By © Frank Schulenburg, CC BY-SA 4.0,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54488770

Ah well. Probably for the best those 40's are too cute and practical for their own good and breed like rabbits.

I've already been thinking about resurrecting the originally planned but not followed up on, 'Russian' Colony in Atlantica, but in 54mm. After all, I should have at least one unit from my first original sculpt mould, aka  "Ivan".  I think I have enough lancer bits in the spares box to add a stand of Cossacks as well. Always wanted some in a larger size.  

Ivan and his brothers will, of course, join with the "Rebel" forces.








4 comments:

  1. Glad you found Fort Ross interesting. Alan's Tragrdland lolly stick fort reminded me of this. It's a great little side avenue of history like the hoax Russian 1870s invasion of New Zealand. https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/09/man-of-tin-advent-calendar-day-9-the-russians-are-coming-1873-new-zealand-hoax/
    Lovely sculpt on the Ivan figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely build a little Fort Ross, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be very nice having a fort named after you - I'm jealous. Don't know of anywhere called Fort Rob :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great figure-and fort picture . These Russians/ Ruslanders are fairly on the march be it in Atlantica or Maple Leaf Country. I look forward to seeing the Cossacks...

    ReplyDelete