Tuesday, September 29, 2020

A Reward for Bravery in Battle .

 At last the flag is done. It seemed only right to reward the 40th for their brave charge on the highlanders followed by their repulse of the flank charge by the Scots Greys.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate painting flags? Especially intricate ones? I did consider downloading some from the excellent and most useful warflag.com but our printer is struggling to maintain a minimum essential service until its replacement arrives. So, I opted for the old handdrawn and painted option. 

I can't help but suspect that the 15mm ones I did in the 80's were better drawn and painted but its probably the effect of those rose coloured glasses often worn when looking back. Anyway, THIS one is a toy soldier flag, not a model soldier one.


The design is based on the relevant example in Arco's Military Flags of the World 1618-1900. First I drew both sides on paper, changing the regimental number, painted it, cut it out, folded it around the pole, then varnished it. 


I really don't get the whole white cross on a white background. Seen in real life, there are no black lines around the cross but the difference is visible, up close anyway. In the end I ended up painting over the lines when applying a base colour of  a light Cream and added the cross in a whiter shade of pale. (Sorry... )

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Looks even better not enlarged and in the dim light of my wargame room :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ross -
    I concur with Mr Tar. I'd be happy with a flag like that.

    If the designs are simple enough - e.g. Union and Confederate flags of the ACW - I'll hand draw them with some kind of pen, and colour them with felt tip pen. Of the latter, the best are the sorts you use for overhead projection transparencies (do they still make them?). The colours are strong, and fast, too. I have never thought to varnish my flags, and although I like the look of yours, I don't reckon I'm tempted to do mine!

    The worst design of flag I have ever seen for hand drawing are the Russian flags of the 7YW. A horrible design anyway, they are simply too intricate to draw well.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not impressed when I found out that my fine pt drawing pen had dried out but then realized it may have been a few years since I last used it. (oops) I still like my usual paint to add colour, easy to shade.

      I won't touch Bavarian flags with that diamond chequered pattern!

      Delete
  3. The flag looks good and works nicely with the painting style of the unit, which looks wonderful by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Peter said, the flag works well with the figures.

    I'm not fond of doing flags either. I have hand-drawn flags; I have printed out flags; tried different papers and even cloth; etc. Never really happy with the results. In fact, I still have several flag-bearers/banner wielders of various sorts just holding up empty poles for years now. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I have thought about doing cased colours, maybe an old ball pt pen cartridge slipped over a pole or....

      Delete
  5. Looks just the right sort of flag for toy soldiers ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes that - white cross on a white background is a thing isn't it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely hand painted Flag Ross- looks very good. I gave up on painting Flags some years ago preferring my canon Printer to do the job for me- However, you cannot beat a well painted flag- such strong color. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete