Tuesday, September 8, 2020

While We Are Waiting: A brief look at the origins of my NorthWest Rebellion.

 Well, Domestic Handyman, Household Menial and Grooming Shop Flunky chores managed for the moment I should have some time this afternoon to work on refurbishing my battlegamefield. 

In the meantime here's a look back at the development of the connection between my collection of 54's, 4" squares, and the Square Brigadier over the last 9 years.  

March 14, 2011: My old toy soldiers come out of storage to refight Hook's Farm using an early version of the Portable Wargame and an improvised 6" grid:

See Morchauser Attacks Hook's Farm post.

Jun 2012: My first consideration of using old  Toy Soldiers  in units of 4 inf/3 cav on a 4" grid and the Colonial Battle Cry variant that Ron and I were using with his 25's.

Battle Cree? Boer Cry? blog post 
It just happened to be on my wonky 4" hex grid which disappeared shortly after, mostly because the terrain was too hard to make but also because the hexes were too small for the 54's which were quietly lobbying for a return to active service. The cavalry and artillery in particular tended to stick out through the angled sides.

Apr 2014. Then two years later, out of the blue came, an impromptu sort of refight of Cut Knife Creek using not yet refurbished toy soldiers and the Square Brigadier on a 4" square grid.

"And it cuts like a knife" blog post  

and the follow up Zulu version: 
(Well, why waste a good setup?)

Zulu noon or a playtester's work is never done.

Dec 31 2015. Those games stuck in my mind and finally, nearly 2 years later came clincher. 

There's Something Fishy About This Creek post.


Aug 10 2016. Eight months later, the first shots were fired in what became the current NorthWest Rebellion. 
Action at Rocky Top Hill

Yes, I know, I've now spent four years trying other ways which might be better but which I don't like as well. I'm finally ready to settle down for the next decade and "Do It"! (Do I hear eyes rolling and choruses of "uh-hunh"?) 

There is a small danger that without the constant exploration of options variations and rules, I'll start wandering off into exploring campaigns including background maps, storylines and character personalities as  well as tabletop battles but the future can never really be known until its the past.  



16 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the evolution of your battles .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The evolution of your thoughts and processes are interesting to review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention how long it can take me to accept something that goes against old habits.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to see the progression of how your games are played. The one constant are the beautiful shiny models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can take me years to get their but its all about the journey.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed seeing this trip through your games over time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to view the various developments of your game Ross. I like the Zulu War photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There might be a small eye-roll, but it's definitely well-intentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice to see things in context and how they evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always a good thing to review the past and look at how things develop.

    ReplyDelete