Friday, September 4, 2020

A Little R&R

 Renovation and Reconstruction

I finally ran out of patience with the clutter and excess furniture etc in my room which have been making it awkward to navigate around and to tidy up. 

Amongst other things, such as storing my 43yr old kitchen table (surplus now that we have my grandmother's 100 year old one), I decided to turn my table sideways so the longer edge is against the wall giving a little more room between the gaming table and my painting desk and to make it smaller. So,  my 54" deep by 48" wide table is now 48" deep x 60" wide.  Yeah, I know. What can I say? These things happen. 

Test fit of the pieces. Sawing and nailing to follow. (The old piece on the end has 4" black dotted line squares superimposed on the 6" coloured squares.)

Anyway, the central grid of 12x12 4" squares will nicely reproduce a Thomas OHW battle (each 4" square equating to 3"x3" on a scenario map)  with a 2 grid wide "offtable" buffer zone behind each sides' start line for approaching reinforcements. 


For other scenarios it will give me either a slightly wider frontage for pitched battles or else greater depth for meeting engagements, rearguards, convoys and so on.  

I was tempted to leave the pieces as last used for a 4'x6' playing area but its too awkward to reach the middle with my modest stature and short arms. Besides, the extra room just invites larger, longer games and bigger armies and I don't want to go back there. Especially now that it seems that my painting hand is showing signs of the arrival of the hereditary family tradition of arthritic fingers. Good thing I already liked glossy toy soldiers.


Anyway, I also had the local hardware store mix a quart of paint matched to the colour I am using for my bases so ere long table, hills and bases will match. (For my 54's anyway.) More new terrain to follow.

12 comments:

  1. Good to get rid of clutter and re-organize things for more comfortable gaming- good on you Ross. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually run out of steam 1/2 way through the process but I gain ground each time.

      Delete
  2. Getting fancy with the paint mixing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't an issue when I flocked..... since I gave that up, I've been waiting till I could decide on a base colour I like and settle on basing styles and size, and size and shape of grid (if any), etc. Its been a long and thorough search but not endless!

      Now its a matter of convenience and constancy!

      Delete
  3. A de- cluttering is certainly good for the soul...
    It’s about time I did the same... I recall that I have a nice wargames table somewhere under the ‘stuff’ in the room at the front of the house.
    I look forward to seeing the new look...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on past experience, I confidently predict that I will get at least 1/2 way through this.

      Delete
  4. Happy (Gamesday?)- and welcome to the 50 year club. Don't worry about clutter - should see what I put up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every now and then I get the urge to try something new....

      Delete
  5. Ross Mac,

    I really need to declutter my toy/wargame room ... but the sheer effort involved in doing it is putting me off. I need to grasp the nettle ... but not today!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Predictably, it wasn't a wargaming issue that prompted my to get a start. I needed room to work on an old porch screen door which I am converting into a sliding pocket door for our kennel room.

      Delete
  6. De-cluttering, rearranging, and reorganizing are all good ways to refresh things. And can be all too easy to keep putting off. Once accomplished, though, it's very satisfying, I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always expect that when I start, and am usually confident that it will happen when I get part way through....

      Delete