Saturday, July 9, 2022

It Was A Quiet Saturday Morning.....

 and Ross was home alone and playing around instead of finishing those Marines.....

Aux Armes!

One of the several reasons I've been making an effort to downsize my collection of figures, is so that I have more time to spend on the look of the games and of the photos, and have enough room to be able to store everything properly whether that is scenery and raw castings filed away so that I can find what I want quickly, take pictutes without a great effort to hide the slums and have room to put a cup of coffe down without making a special effort!! :) 


"Hearts of Oak are our Ships, wrinkly is our sky
We always are messy, tidy, boys tidy" .

It took me a while to jury rig an extension to the harbour so that my frigate could appear on table to duel with the battery, and to jury rig a backdrop for photos, but only minutes after that to remember that many if not most RN frigates were already heavily into short range carronades which would be pretty much useless for fighting a battery on top of a cliff. Phew!  No need to work out some rules for that bit.  Actually, no need for the ship model either (once again....), or the backdrop.  Oh well, it was fun to do anyway. Definitely need the better permenant backdrops that have been slowly working their way up the Toodoo list for a while now.

(and yes, my wife was on her way to a dogshow when I borrowed the light blue table cloth which is screening the heaping piles of junk which often cover the side cabinet instead of being properly stored inside it or somewhere else. 

OK, more coffee then back to the painting desk. My back is still complaining after the drive to Fredericton and back last weekend so its short stints of painting. They'll be done in time to play tomorrow though.

13 comments:

  1. Nice looking frigate, always good to put extra eye candy on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chance find in a waterfront gift shop some 25 years ago. Once removed from its display stand, its been making occasional cameos on website then blog ever since.

      Delete
  2. Make suer the table cloth is back in place before the return .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fears, it was back in the cupboard minutes after the photos were taken.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ross, Just a small bit of help. As the Admiralty's official messenger, I am pleased to inform you that you have been removed from the half pay ranks and restored to the command of HMS Sherwood. Further, I am commanded to inform you that all of the short range carronades have been or are being replaced with 12 and 24 lb. standard ordnance. As you will discover upon reading your sealed orders an additional company of Royal Marines has been seconded to your command. may I personally congratulate you on your return to active service? -Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A generous offer but as umpire, I'll have to decline, Anyway, my inclinations are more with the freedom fighters who haven't appeared in the teaser......

      Delete
  4. Nice shot!

    One of the hazards of having hobbies like wargaming/model soldiers is all the stuff. It's also one of the joys. Getting things organized and keeping things organized have never been my strong suits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks fantastic despite the wrinkles in the sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plans for a painted backdrop. Had them for a long time, well, plans may be a strong word.......vague idea maybe...

      Delete
  6. Really like the photo , terrific , atmospheric table.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly I like your Ship and Landing Party- looks great Ross- Naval matters gets me every time.

    ReplyDelete