Saturday, July 16, 2022

Recruiting Resumes

 Looking through the bits and pieces that will be used to form my Turkish garrisons, I decided to tackle a gun crew. The figures are a mix of 17thC Russian and Polish/Lithuanian artillerymen. These are part of the discounted Drabant kits that I snapped up at the last HMGS Con I attended (Fall In! 2016). They aren't quite right for anything I'm doing but they looked close enough for my purposes to be converted from historical models to Toy Soldiers representing 1799 Turkish artillerymen.   

That blue orb isn't actually a fortune teller's crystal ball, just a cannon ball in the making.

As far as I can tell from my current research by book and web, not all Turks wore turbans, esp gunners, and some wore long coats. Close enough, but fur trimmed hats in Palestine seems a stretch so I will probably turn the fur into turbans to make them fit in better. I only have 2 poses, 3 Russian gunners with rammer and 1 possibly Polish figure with linstock, but it didn't take me long to turn them into 4 unique individuals. I'm letting the glue dry over night and then I'm going to add turbans to enhance their "turkishness".  


2 comments:

  1. Looks good so far. Not sure I'd worry about fur trimmed hats in palestine - could be winter: 'Winter in Palestine spans about three months duration, and the temperature sometimes does fall to zero; however, it does not usually snow in Palestine. In recent years it has snowed only twice.' from https://gopalestine.org/palestine-2/life-in-palestine-2/weather-in-palestine/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried about historical acuracy with this army, just want them to feel like they belong together. Minor conversion already done.

      Delete