Sunday, August 21, 2022

As Mini As A Convention Gets: Day 1

There are certainly days when I begin to think that I'm getting on. We enjoyed a 5 player, 12mm, mid-18thC, miniature wargame on Friday, a 4 player 40mm wargame on Saturday, and hopefully the remaining three are enjoying the boardgame scheduled for today even though they are short a player.  I had planned to be there, but legs and head were too tired and sore to manage the hour drive each way and learning a new-to-me multi-player board game.

The turns were too fast and furious with too much good natured trash talk, old incidents and absent friends  recalled etc etc for me to  remember to take lots of pictures or make notes during the game or check the clock. Remarkably like being at a  convention really. So here's the 1 minute a day news summary Pt 1.

Day 1

This was hosted by Les using a quicker play variation of my old Hearts of Tin rules that he had prepared a number of years ago. It was a simple, mid-18thC, 3 vs 2 river crossing scenario, including reinforcements for the defender. I think it took us about 3 hours to play through from deployment to the sad end. (Yeah, you guessed it, I was one of the defenders who almost repulsed the attackers.) 

The game begins!
(The cavalry in reserve and the light infantry along the river were under my control as were the reinforcements on our right. The objective for the enemy was to control at least bridge and over 1/2 the built up areas.)

By turn 3 or 4, we learned that a) my light infantry needed some serious training in how to shoot and b) the enemy Hussars were not the slightest bit discommodated by leaping hedges when charging since 6's still took effect....... 



Everyone here? Allright lets go get'em tigers!

Well, at this point, technically we still held half the buildings but.......... with isolated 1 battery in the open  vs 4 infantry battalions and  1/2  squadron vs 2 more battalions there was no waay we could win even if Rob held his position on far the left and my 1/2 battalion in the white walled farm held out.

Day 2: Coming soon!


 

6 comments:

  1. A few years ago, it would have been hard to imagine passing on an opportunity to indulge in a third day of gaming. Wise, however, to stop before it becomes a chore, which in the end is probably better for all concerned (I think we've all been to games where one or more folks is not engaged). Still, two solid days of gaming among friends sounds a good outcome to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 days ago I wouldn't have anticipated it. As it was it was about 1/2 hour on the road home when the possibility started suggesting itself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like the perfect sized convention to me! I'm decidedly unenthusiastic about large crowds - even before the plague came. I suppose a downside is the bring-and-buy being smaller, but then again you spend less money that way. (apologizes if i commented twice - the first time I got a CAPTCHA time out error)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice looking game Ross…
    A few games of toy soldiers with friends… hopefully monthly can only be a good thing… maybe you could include a ‘chill out/ snooze’ zone next time.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete