EXERT FROM APPENDIX 1 from Don Featherstone's Battles With Model Soldiers
(The book that got me started.)

"Nothing in these pages is a dictate, no word says you must or you shall do it this way. On the contrary, the book sets out from the very beginning to stimulate the reader to think for himself, and to use what he has read merely as a foundation for efforts and ideas which reflect his own temperament and character. Only in this way will he obtain maximum satisfaction from the hobby of battling with model soldiers."

-Don Featherstone 1918 - 2013

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MacDuff Meets Morschauser on the Frontier and gets a Tin Heart

The Rosish Army on maneuvers in preparation for the coming summer campaign season.

After a quick run through of the scenario using Charge! mostly to get ready for Historicon but also to double check that its not right for my 1812/Aroostock Campaign. (Its not, at least not played solo on a 5 ft wide table.), I reset the table for a MacDuff game using the Oregon campaign figures since they are part of the same project and based and organized in the planned fashion.

Then I opened up the rules again, primarily to adjust all distances to multiples of 4" so I can use my hex grid to eyeball distances and avoid the heavy weight of a tape measure or the frustration of seeking yet another misplaced ruler when tired.    While there, I did a little of the inevitable nudging, especially where I found things to be getting arcane rather than natural, all minor apart possibly from putting melees back into the "resolve when they happen" mode.

When I was done I felt pretty happy but once again, they appear to be a fairly thorough synthesis of MacDuff to The Frontier and Hearts of Tin. So what do I call them now????

The latest version is available on google docs .

The game will hopefully be played out tomorrow. (My wife gets back tonight after over a week away and I  figure my double shift duties looking after her menagerie and mother should rate 3 hours to myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment