Sunday, August 9, 2020

Closer to Home

 That's better!  

The inner call to free my 54's from the grid and to restore the infantry to their original 8 figure units, some of which date back to the 1990's and MacDuff to the Frontier, has finally won the hearts and minds battle, and now appears to have finally led to a real contender for a set of rules that will allow me to play interesting, full scenarios on my pint size table with enough units and figures to satisfy me.  

End of Turn 3 of the current game.

The last three attempts all had something to offer but each suffered from some critical failures, not engaging enough, too abstract, too obviously derived from current copyrighted games (Did anyone notice the battlecry dice in some of the photos in the last post?), too tedious/repetitive/indecisive/etc, or just didn't use my old 8 figure infantry unit standard that I would like to revive. 

Three turns in is a little early to call success but so far it IS promising. More in a day or so.

12 comments:

  1. Looking delightfully Wellsian - Just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sounding good. Looks good too, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks promising. All my figure games this year have been non-grid, which has been a big change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Game looks great,looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photograph! I like the misty quality. Did you use a filter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have been a finger print on the lens but I think its just the usual poor lighting and handheld camera shake.

      Delete
    2. (The real question for me is how I occasionally manage to get a sharp picture.)

      Delete
  6. I think you are right with regard to the 8-man units. When I started toying around with "About Bonaparte", I was a bit concerned it wouldn't look "right"(the rules use 8-man units).Certainly the battles published on the PMCD-Mobilisatie blog look spectacular. But after a couple of test games using the 8-man units...it works!

    ReplyDelete