Friday, February 19, 2021

Long ago and far away...

 A voice cried out in the Wilderness: "Send us a valiant Prince!" .

And was answered!

L to R: 1974 Nostalgia Press collection Vol 1, a 50 year old clipping from a newspaper, Vol 4 of a recent Fantographic reprint series.  

 The clipping in the middle was one of my first encounters with Prince Valiant. The Montreal Star didn't carry the strip but one of the papers down in the Eastern Townships near the US/Quebec border, did. Since much of my mother's family lived down there we visited often and I often spent a week or more of my summer holidays on my Uncle Steve's dairy farm. The current issue would be in the house but there were always a couple of older issues  in the Outhouse and this came from one of those. I have great memories from those days and perhaps they have added to my nostalgic attraction to Prince Val.

Anyway, the new bold reprint recently arrived as a "my car is paid off" present to myself which I am about to dip into once Monday comes. Not only is it superior in clarity and colour to the original and far superior to the 74 reprint that I was so pleased to find at a Cold Wars some 20 years ago, but it includes (by choice) the series where Prince Valiant adventures in North America involving Vikings and Skraelings and travelling through not only my home of choice, but also the land of my birthplace. 

I believe my Prince August Sraeling molds are going to get a workout when spring arrives, but I want to read those episodes before I send Prince Micheal sailing westward, chasing the Earl Helgin. For now, the Prince is still chasing Huns.



I just need to come up with a scenario and set the table.

7 comments:

  1. I remember the Toronto Star carrying PV well into the 80s or early 90s, but haven't seen it since. I loved the art, it was sufficiently realistic to have a Dark Ages feel, and a little sparse, but also could be quite heroic. I would like to have a reprint collection, will have to check Amazon. Thanks for the happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was serendipity that the old figures started coming on the market cheap(ish) in estates sales etc just as I started to have a little cash. Childhood dreams come true!

      Delete
  2. Lovely artwork indeed.

    My dark secret is that I collect old War Picture Library comics (the A5 WW2 size comic books), its nostalgia on a stick and a source of great amusement/concern for my wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhoh I think this is one of those moments when I should close my eyes and pretend I didn't read that and didn't look them up online. Figment of my imagination. Yup.

      Delete