Thursday, January 5, 2023

A Start

 It was a quiet day here and I decided to get a start on my 40mm not-orcs. 

So far, I've filed the bottoms of their feet so they will stand, glued them to washers, added some putty vegetation to reinforce their adhesion to those bases, undercoated in a 'yellow brown' and  begun experimenting with colours, something similar but not uniform, and suitable for lurking in woods. 

They are well sculpted with detail which would have been a delight to a younger me with sharper eyes and steadier hand, and which still is appreciated now. 

The Day of Battle webpage described this set as LOTR Orcs so while I will not be sending Prince Micheal to Middle Earth, I may well use a very similar name for these lads. Tolkien described his Orcs as "swarthy" and so I'm going to come up with something that looks "swarthy-ish' to me. 

I'm still in experimental mode, mixing colours and trying to decide on suitable clothing colours etc., but a number of my current favourite paints are at, or near empty while some of the replacements for old favourites are garbage. Since I can no longer get suitable paints for my needs nearby, I've had to start looking at what I can get on line that will serve my needs and budget. Even as recent as 10 years ago, $20 would be a lavish annual expediture on paint but I can see that won't do it now, even for craft acryllics, but basically I need a selection of basic artist colours so that I can mix the rest.   

 


14 comments:

  1. Like swarthy Orcs - green one's do my head in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green skin has always been a mythunderstanding. Orcs, no lovers of sunshine, use an aloe-based sunscreen which has a greenish hue.

      Delete
    2. Ummh ya, a mythunderstanding, we do get lots of that don't we.

      Delete
  2. Your Orcs are off to a swarthy start. Will all of these have the same swarthy skin tone or will you vary this too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given that I'm mixing several colours as I go........I'm assuming they'll be close but not precisely the same.

      Delete
  3. WAAAGH! (My son is deeply into the Warhammer video game). Include me among those curious about the choice of skintone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of the warg. Interested in seeing how that evolves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. Been looking at pictures of real ones and thinking about Shepards I've known....

      Delete
    2. Ummh, make that "Shepherds" where the heck is autocorrect when you need it!?

      Delete
  5. A nice start to these figures Ross…
    I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete