Friday, January 20, 2023

The Usual Planning Committee Has Voted.


Well, on this snowy afternoon, me, myself and I have been discussing what work needs to be done for each of the three proposed games for Huzzah, reviewing resources and existing figure availability, figuring out how many players could be handled. (between 1 and 6 with 4 being most desirable and 8 possible at a pinch in the unlikely situation where more than 6 want to play which has happened a couple of times as well as at least one "nobody" game), reviewing the test games, which rules were used in each playtest and live game, and finally how each game worked.  (pheww!...run on sentence or what?

The result of all that is that I've decided to make a couple of small but important changes to my plan. 

The first go at the Frogs and Lobsters and Owls scenario,

My first conclusion was that the two amphibious raid games are too close in nature despite the different locales. The second was that with 3 months in which to prepare, right now, I'd rather work on building up my Turks who have many potential uses, are very colourful and need a lot of conversion (an old favourite part of my hobby), than to add a few more Caribbean guerillas and jungle terrain for a variation of another "British landing party hooks up with rebels" scenario. 

The original, small, Caribbean scenario.

A separate solo meeting was held on which rules to use. My instinct was to go with the updated MacDuff rules, which were written for this sort of games, however, between test games, both solo and with players, and past convention games, they just take too long for a convention game if the scenario  has any depth or complexity at all. 

When I did a solo game to blood my Turks, I ended up resorting to a cross between the then current draft of 'Whiff of Dice' and my old 'Hearts of Tin' rules. The resulting updated "Whiff of Dice" has worked well every time I've played them and play fast enough and decisively enough to fit the convention schedule. So that is now officially "Selected"!

The first, small, outing for my Turks,

Now to review what Turks are needed, review my choice of moulds for conversion fodder, pick a warmish day (calf deep snow today but big melt fore cast for a few days), fire up my melting pot, cast away, convert, convert, paint, paint, paint, make some fortifications, try to recruit some friends to playtest the scenario and then "Let the convention commence!".

4 comments:

  1. There is something really quite satisfying about casting, converting and painting new figures. Having an actual reason for doing it even better. Plus, colourful figures. Seems like a whole list of wins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often find it easier to get motivated if I know that the new figures are for a specific event rather than "some day..." also easier if its something new and different, so win/win all around.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ross- I use to do a lot of mold making and casting for figures ranging from 12mm to 54mm and I regret now selling everything - all my equipment and materials - as it is costing me a lot to have the molding and casting done for me in Melbourne at present. Stay well there with all the Snow. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross, do I need to say this again? Your French Revolution collection is one of my favorites. Splendid, splendid, splendid!

    ReplyDelete