Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Testing Testing 1,2,3

When I bought the set of Artecho paints, I didn't know anything about them except that they were acryllic and came in the same little soft plastic bottles as most cheap 'craft' acrylic paints but had the same colour names as artists oils and my old Liquitex acryllic paints which used to come in tubes. 

There's only one way to find out more really, and that would be by trying them. Imagine my surprise when I flipped open the lid and tried to put a dab on my palette and...nothing came out. Ah, must have a seal I thought and removed the lid. No seal, just nice thick acryllic paint, just like my old Liquitex in the tubes! 

Oh yeah, that got me excited, would they work like my old art paints? Would I need to relearn habits and techniques after having used the thin hobby paints for decades?   

1st hasty testing of the Artecho acryllic paints on metal.

Yup! But I enjoyed every minute of using them. I wanted to keep the painting quick and simple so stopped myself from getting into "model" mode, kept the lacing and trim to a minimum  and stuck to a simple painting with just a bit of shading so that they would blend in with my existing Mamlukes/Turks. I was also in a hurry to see them finished and painted them in a couple of short sessions today. 

It'll take a while to adjust my techiques and to relearn how to get the most out of the paint when blending colours, when shading (these guy could use a bit more), thinning it for washes, etc., but it was the most enjoyable painting session I've had in a long while. 

10 comments:

  1. It's a real bonus when you can actually enjoy painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Helps slow down the rate at which shelves and cupboard fill up.

      Delete
  2. You made fast and good work of your latest conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd done the experimentation last year so it should go quick and easy.

      Delete
  3. Nice work, so the new paints obviously do the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. Luckily they also work well with all the older paints except for a few really crappy bottles.

      Delete