Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Just A Quick Update

Another busy week, part hobby and brain workout with an even larger non-hobby part, but I managed another playtest of a slightly modified scenario. 

The rules have, I think, come together in a completely different old fashioned  style than when I started. They are back to a version of Hearts of Tin, having more echos of Joe Morschauser, than Featherstone, Grant, Lawford and Young etc. The scenario has been adjusted for 6 players though playable with fewer. 

Should have known my old white coated Orleans Cavalry would earn their keep if updated. Last turn of the game, a brilliant charge and die roll turned the game result on its head as they over ran the convoy capturing the Royalist convoy of arms and money on the last turn!

There's a dozen or so figures left to paint up for this scenario, then I need to get back to painting Turks and Mamlukes as there's only something like 10 weeks left to prepare!

12 comments:

  1. Which rules’ attributes classify as “echoes of Morschauser?” Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comparison ignores the many later trends and looks back to the early 60's for game approaches. ( Why I should even be thinking about such antique sources/ideas while ignoring all the various more modern rules ideas, requires a long chat over beer or at least coffee..... rather than a blog comment )

      The main two points are a)Morschauser's use of "elements" (to use current speak for a few figures on a standard base as a game piece) as opposed to various familiar "British Old School" authors' 'counting noses' as in rolling a die for every x# of figures and then removing figures as casualties, (as in my "MacDuff" rules that I used for the first games which took too long for a convention game )

      and b) Morshauser's morale being built into how much damage a stand can take, thus eliminating the need for a 2nd mechanism. (I really didn't 'get' this when I first encountered it early this century)




      Delete
  2. Your game certainly looks lovely Ross…
    I reckon that no matter how much time you have you will inevitably have a game that has a hint of fresh varnish about it.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I figure better new varnish than musty or dusty :)

      Delete
  3. Looks fantastic. I love the ships in the water at the back edge..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Souvenir fishing dories from the giftshop at Peggy's Cove bought decades ago and eventually turned into something more useful for wargaming

      Delete
  4. Great looking table and great looking game as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you going to write up the rules and give us a link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been fine tuning the rules almost daily. I'm hoping to play another game in a day or so and then, if it also goes well, I'll do a post on the ideas behind the rules and post a link.

      Delete
  6. Looks great , as ever.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete