Saturday, March 11, 2023

Never As Easy As It Seems

The plan was to play a game this morning.

What happened was a lot of useful work refurbishing units and getting them ready to play.

A Faraway Trading Company column approaches an apparently empty Kapelle village. (But we know better)

Yes, having exhausted various ways to make every collection different in rules, level of play etc, I've finally decided the challenge is over and I'm going to be lazy again and just play what works for me. This 1840's game could easily be played with my French Rev armies using essentially the same weapons and tactics but since I have these guys and like 'em, and still have space for them, I'm not going to worry about it. 

Now it's a Sunday Solo 1840's Kapelle game using Whiff of Dice (aka Revived and improved Hearts of Tin) that I'm planning.

4 comments:

  1. I think that when the weaponry is very similar it's quite difficult to get a lot of differeniation between periods so it comes down to uniforms and setting. My 19th century games could be played with any of the various armies I have but I couldn't miss out on all the colourful uniforms and the setting varies from Europe to darkest Africa to Asia and may not impact the game particularly but I love the visual appeal. Which is why I play wargames with figures rather than hex maps and cardboard counters.

    Great to see Faraway again, one of my favourites of your collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made several tries to trim down to one one set of geric armies for each main era of warfare, (bow and spear, horse and musket etc). it was a hopeless endeavour! Just too many toy soldiers in pretty uniforms out there.

      Delete