Friday, March 10, 2023

When I decided to downsize my table last year, I thought seriously about a 5 ft x 5 ft table but the room was cramped enough and I only had a 4'x8' board to work with. I whimped out and settled on 4'x5' table. While testing my convention game I jury rigged a 5'x6' surface and imagined a foot or two of sea to help fill the table while leaving room on each end for coffee cups etc. 

Well, I took down the temporary expansion and the 4x5 looked so forlorn, and having a square table had been so handy that I relocated or removed some shelf units, boxes etc and started collecting ends and scraps of 1/4" board of various dimensions. It was a bit tricky to get everything steady and level but I got there and touched up the old paint just enough to blend in a little.

I wanted to test the table and the rules but wanted a break from the French Revolution so turned to an older collection. 

5'x5'
Its the illusion of perspective that makes the square look longer than it is wide.

So, somewhere in the disputed Kapelle region, two armies converge on a sleepy little village at a crossroad....


6 comments:

  1. Interesting in seeing how you solved your table quandry, I too am constrained for space, I have a 4x3 and can squeeze in a 6x4 so can do a fair bit with that, a 12x10 is a dream!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 years ago, in the long gap between buying here and retiring early from my paying job and shutting down our business/house an hour away from here, I had this room as a dedicated gamesroom with 6x10 table, shelves of figures, and a few chairs and stools. Lots of room for 5 or 6 friends and a ton of minis for an all day game.

      Wouldn't have the energy today!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to the forthcoming crossroads encounter.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trouble with tables is that they are so useful for attracting clutter. Mine is 12x4, at the moment I have the luxury of 8x4 being available! Usually it's a lot less and I have to have a determined de-cluttering sweep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a 10x6 in a dedicated space for a decade last century, just right for 54's and there was plenty of room for heaps of clutter off the table. Where did I find the energy to play 8 and 10 hour games on it?

      Delete