Sunday, August 25, 2024

Wargames Without Malice

Well, its done, and was well worth doing. I'm not sure what demon whispered in my ear while I was asleep that I should return to more complex rules and scenarios as the next decade creeps closer, but it has been banished again by a fast paced game, full of suspense, plans, changes of fortune with rising and falling hopes, sustained by stubborn toy soldiers and unpredictable dice.  

"It's done Sir. A week's truce to care for the dead and wounded, get the troops back on the shelf and endorse the adjusted rules as agreed upon here."

The one-side-of-a-page rules as played, but wide open to adjustment with each game until I run out of issues, problems, omissions, and new ideas, can be found here.  If things continue well, eventually a 4 or 5 page set of rules will take the place of the retired "Hearts of Tin". It might lay claim to the title as they have the same roots. Time will tell. In essence, each stand is a "unit" which can act on its own but is usually more effective as part of a formation or group of stands. Commanders play a role in getting the troops to act as desired, when the player desires as well as boosting morale at times.

Yeah, sorry. The awful lighting in this 170 yr old house affected some of the pictures even worse than usual and sometimes even my laptop can't really fix my errors. Improving the lighting is on the list.... 

Anyway, the Scenario was #18, Counter Attack, from One Hour Wargames by Neil Thomas and apart from set up and the pending clean up, it took about 2 hours of playing time which is about right for me these days. The orders for both sides are to control both the bridge and the town."Red" starts with a small force but is reinforced by units that are aware of two secret fords. "Blue" marches on turn 1, knowing only what he can see.

All in!
General Turner's aide comes up with a 'cunning plan'. On Oberhilse's right, the Faraway Light Dragoons are isolated and out of command needing a 5 or 6 to charge so if the 4th Infantry advances to musket range it should be able to drive them off and should be steady enough to repulse a light cavalry charge if they should be so bold. On the left flank, the artillery and Greys should be able to see off the redcoats.

Moments later on Oberhilse's right flank ....

"5 hits on 6 dice? Hopefully they don't have orders to pursue. Best go help rally the remaining boys."

While on their left:

"Well, that'll even out all those 1's and 2's we've been rolling!"

With chance cards having shortened the game by 2 turns, time was running out.

"Hmm, the light is starting to dim. What do you think gentlemen? Should we make a risky 'win or lose' gambit or play it safe and negotiate a truce?" "Yes I agree. Major, you were here at the start, I'm going to send you across under a flag of truce."

The troops are 40mm, mostly a mix of homecast, inc casts of my original sculpts as well as commercial moulds but supported by Scruby figures from Historifigs. Most of both being converted to 1830/40's uniforms for my fictional setting. (Oh, and there still some units in .... obsolete 1812-14 uniforms... 'cus I like'm)

15 comments:

  1. Looks/sounds good.
    I didn't see any problem with lighting.
    As for the lads in obsolete uniforms; keeping them because you like them sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are off, that's my main disappointment.
      As for uniforms, well, what are fictional armies for if your can't dress 'em the way you want?

      Delete
  2. Great looking game and keeping units because you like them is as good a reason for doing just that. I too am a bit torn about more complicated rules and some quick and easy, still haven't come to a conclusion though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer I decided 10 years of waffling was long enough and decided that I don't need complicated rules for solo games, or for running games at conventions where none of the players know the rules. Even simple but slow failed this summer.

      Delete
  3. Photos look great to me too.
    “ fast paced game, full of suspense, plans, changes of fortune with rising and falling hopes, sustained by stubborn toy soldiers and unpredictable dice..”
    What more does anyone want in their games, it says it all as far as l am concerned.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely looking game indeed Ross…
    It sounded like an enjoyable couple of hours… And those dice….Not something I get or get to see that often 🤣

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lot I could comment on here! I'll restrict it to 'like that bridge. Simple, effective'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and there is foam in its core and a few ripples here and there.

      Delete
  6. Looks a great game and the photos are fine. I'm very much in favour of having as few rules as possible so that I can focus on the decisions to be made and not the rules. Though not to my taste, I think the simple rules are what has made OHW a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my issue with the pictures is just that some of the colours are faded, like some faded water colours.........
      I received OHW as a gift which meant I "had" to try them out. The rules are sort of OK except that each troop type may only have 1 tactic no give'm a volley and charge. At first the scenarios looked too simple and an hour too short, but now I use them for 3/4 of my games and just tweak'em and happily play 1 & 2 hour games in preference to 5 hour ones. I'm either going soft core or getting older.

      Delete
  7. You like the way the troops look, the gameplay, the results. You may have stumbled onto something. Best of all your opponent is tractable and always shows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are mostly right but there are times when I set up a game but there are chores for Me to do or I end up argu...err.. discussing the rules with Myself... But mostly it works for 'us'.

      Delete
  8. Fine looking game and it sounds like you 'both' had a grand time of it.
    Games where you lose to yourself are top fun.
    The pictures look excellent on the blog at my end!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete