Tuesday, August 20, 2024

All Things Must End

If I'd known my b#@%&* knee was going to explode again, I probably wouldn't have set this game up but I'm glad I did as it helped distract me even if I only managed a turn or 3 a day, on the good days.

At the end of the day, in the centre, 3 companies of British supported by a gun were facing 4 companies of French and a gun behind a breastwork......

One of the main reasons I had set it up was that I want one set of rules for the three collections of single figures that I plan to use for small action scenarios ( 1745-60 British Conquest, 1790's West Indies and mid 19thC toy soldiers.) and wanted to give my old original "With MacDuff To The Frontier rules" one last chance.  The result you ask?  Well, the rules worked....BUT  as always, its too slow! Its just do-able with a GM or 2 and 4-6 players and a simple scenario or if one wants to play a solo game, a few turns a day over the course of a week, or 4-6 hours on one day.  

I really enjoyed the first few turns but as it went on, flipping cards and deciding what unit or group to activate next, became less exciting and the game just did not have the "zip" that I've become used to. All of this showed up in my last 54mm game (See "Ambushed Again!") but I figured it had earned another try. 

......but, on the flank, where the river is fordable, 1 sole company of French were all that was left to hold back 4 companies of Provincials. Time to scoot back to the fort.

Not to be rash, or to have to clear and reset the table of troops needlessly, I'm going to give Ol' MacDuff a break, and replay this scenario using the simpler "To The Frontier" rules. (The recent two sides of a page rules I used for the end of the aforementioned 54mm game, and the recent West Indies game. )  

"RIGHT! Places everyone! Lets take it from the top!" 

5 comments:

  1. I await with interest hearing how the TTF rules work out…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your flare up. Endings are also beginnings, though. On to the next game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be a sad day when the battleground is alone and neglected as the dust settles but "it is not this day!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the knee is flaring up again. May I offer a thought on the rules: if the game is slow it suggests that the combat resolution isn't sufficiently decisive eg firfights go on too long as casualty rates are too low or the morale effects of casualties don't kick in early enough. I'm not sure of the size of your companies but assuming 12, they'll roll 6d6 and need 5+ at long and 4+ at short. So assuming average rolling that would be two hits at long and three at short. Assuming no rallying units should get down to /below half strength in 2 or 3 rounds of firing and thus must rally. That might give the unit a "get out of jail card" to return to the fight - if it has lost 6 and gets 2 back it may just do so. I like the uncertainty (always good, particularly in a solo game) but do you really want to prolong the combat in this way? Might it be worth introducing an 'army morale' whereby when an army has lost, say 1/3 of its units you dice to see if the general calls it a day? I find the exhausion point mechanisms in Bob Cordery's Portable Wargame rules works well in limiting the duration of games. Any how, I look forward to seeing how the next game works out.

    ReplyDelete