Saturday, August 10, 2024

While We Are Recuperating

Relax, nothing serious. A few years ago I developed something called a Baker's Cyst (wiki entry if curious)  I was warned that such things are likely to periodically swell and become painful again and then clear up for most of all the rest of my life. So, I'd best get used to it. Luckily it doesn't stop me, just hurts and slows me down when it visits. 

Anyway, while staring at the table and trying to remember what the area looks like, I suddenly remembered that I had taken some pictures last year, or maybe the year before, or both. Anyway, I found one looking from near the one time site of Fort Lawrence (in Nova Scotia), looking across the tidal Missaguash River to Fort Beausejour (in New Brunswick), on top of the ridgeline on the other side of the river, about 2.5 km away as the seagull flies. (Its that bump just right of centre on the skyline in the picture, the stone building is a Parks Canada museum and gift shop). 

Ps. This photo is not one of the ones that I took, it must have been a photo of a tourist info display at the location of Ft. Lawrence or in the museum. It's the blue stripe that gave it away. 

Looking from a point near Fort Lawrence towards Fort Beausejour
(on the crest of the hill, just right of centre, roughly 2.5km away)

The treeline and dark green streak, marks where the Missaguash runs down to the sea, except when the incoming tide pushes it  back. The land either side of the river floods at high tide and I imagine to be a bit boggy since I live along another tidal river emptying into another of the arms of the Bay of Fundy. However, looking at the picture, its obvious that its also still used for hay as was similar ground around here when the Acadians were farming it, raising dikes to keep average tides out while saving the extra nutrients that the highest salt tides dropped off. OK, then. 

Now why did I think there was a bridge over the Missaguash? Turns out, its because Parkman's history of the Conquest, titled "Wolfe & Montcalm", specifically states that the French tore the bridge down when the war was renewed!  I suppose I could add a broken bridge but given that this will be a generic, non-historical, battle "inspired by" an historical event, I'll just leave it, but will include a crude farm road. I'm also going to treat the adjacent fields/marsh as difficult but passable. The river will be fordable upstream from the bridge but not below where the muddy tidal flats can be, lets say, rather difficult in the you can suddenly sink to your knee or deeper if there's too much water in the sand and mud. I should shift the trees about as well, some a little farther uphill from the tidal river, and some a little farther upstream where the land is higher.

Right, I think I'm ready to go now!

12 comments:

  1. Ross;
    This is one site that is on my bucket list to visit. I've replayed the "Siege" of Fort Beausejour and I think it's a neat little action. Lots of potential.

    Looking forward to seeing what you put on the table.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mishmash of figures added over the last..20ish years. 99%homecast inc conversions .

      My first visit was back around '61 ish. Somewhere, in the hands of older siblings or younger niece or nephew there are obsolete home movies.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this Ross, very much.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facinating photo of the area , hope your feeling better soon .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its the 2nd occurrence but apparently the knee cyst is a recurrent thing, till life do etc

      Delete
  4. A fascinating look at the area. Sounds like they'll be a lot of difficult going on the table. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, while details are scarce, this an "inspired by" scenario, so as accurate as an old Hollywood movie is the standard.

      Delete
  5. Always good to actually know the ground. But even better to always remember (as you have) that you are making a game out of an event, and minute adherence to facts is not always the best method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I've run some brilliant and disastrous 'historical' games in my time.

      Delete
  6. That is interesting, thanks. I think as actually thinking of going to Britcon this year, but in the end I didn't as I've not been well. Sounds like I saved a pointless trip!

    ReplyDelete