Click on pictures for larger size. Depending on your machine, you can use your figures to enlarge or shrink the picture, or there may be a '+' on the picture which will expand again and allow you to slide the large picture to see all of it. Click on the header arrow pointing left to go back to the regular screen.

Friday, August 30, 2024

Absent Friends

Yes, that's Sunday's toast and it's only Friday but a friend, a wargaming and discoursing about history, miniature wargaming, life and various other topics, friend, David Wilson, has recently passed away. 

It was in the early 80's when I had just resigned my commission and had been talked into trying my hand as a shopkeeper at a new wargaming, D&D, miniatures, etc. store which I named The Tin Soldier, (As it turns out, my shopkeeper ancestors hadn't passed the right DNA to me and I was only saved by getting a temp. job that led to a job that led me to  find various unsuspected talents and a career). 

Anyway, this tall, thin, smart, mustachioed, educated, and slightly hippy-ish guy came in to look at the 15mm Napoleonics rack and we got chatting. Before long I had him joining into games as well as spending a lot of time talking over coffee or beer. Before the decade was over he decided to leave town to up his university degrees to Doctor of...various things. For a while he settled in Fredericton and, now and then, when I was there for work or visiting family, I occasionally dropped in for a chat if I had a chance.  Then I retired early, had my heart attack, Covid hit, and my trips to visit family became fewer and shorter and David and I lost contact.  

So it came as a shock recently to get the news that he had passed away, even though he was almost a decade older than me. I felt the need to make some remembrance of him, so I mounted one of my original figures with a few words in memory of our friendship and passed it to his partner. 




May David's spirit find someone to discourse with wherever it goes. 





9 comments:

  1. I shall raise a glass for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear the news. We had some good games with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I think that was a nice remembrance you've done with that figure.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice tribute Ross and a lovely remembrance figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of his passing , a nice rememberance figure though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely words and a thoughtful gesture.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ross Mac,

    What a great tribute to a good friend and fellow wargamer.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tribute written from the heart is a fine thing. Beautifully done.
    James

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fine gesture and remembrance.

    ReplyDelete