Sunday, December 20, 2020

Now that that's settled.

For a long time now I've been itching to go beyond the rules experiments and basic unit additions so that I can do more "work" on some of the little extras, constancy in look of troops, basing, terrain and various markers and play aids that will make the games look more polished and easier to play.

Well, having driven the rules around the block more than a few times over the last 5 or so years and tried and largely rejected every option, idea, and variation I could think of or steal, I've happily once again returned to the basics of the early games, just a bit more polished. Perhaps there is a better way but this is my comfy way and it fits my resources, likes and habits and I'm happy that I understand why I like these choices as well as being comfortable that they work for me. 

Not saying I'll never tweak or add anything, after all, for starters, the Zulus are still lurking in the cupboard and  aren't really covered yet. Still I'm home.
 
First experiment with a prototype 2d eliminated unit marker. These will replace the little red and blue discs I use now (usually). Each army will have a pool of customized markers equal to its break point and place one each time a unit is removed. No need to need to keep track, when you place your last marker, game over.

When I get enough of this sort of polushing done, I can start getting on to the occasional complex scenario, some actual, planned campaigns and maybe even get back to writing a bit more about the background history, personalities and famous units.


12 comments:

  1. That is a very neat idea to have a picture of a fallen soldier to mark casualties or a unit's state. They certainly won't get in the way, are they easy enough to pick up and move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experiments have just begun. This first one is just paper, the plan is to use some sort of card so we'll see.

      Delete
  2. I think that will be less distracting than the plastic discs. I had thought of gathering all my Airfix dead and wounded figures to use them on based units to mark hits, instead of caps or rings. Seeing this, I might try finding those Airfix figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my last ACW game I started gathering wounded and prone 1/72 nd figures to use as markers.

      Delete
  3. Nice idea Ross - at first I thought it was an insult to The Dominion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to get the Zouaves to step over him but the wind from their movement was enough to float him out of place since he isn't printed on or glued to card yet, so I had to get them to hold him down for a pic!

      Delete
  4. Sounds good. Knowing the kind of game/s and minis and terrain and all that that you want is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its refreshing to have the time and place to test and experiment.

      Delete
  5. It's great to try and reject rules and then come to a comfortable position with them (...maybe?!). The most important thing is "...my comfy way and it fits my resources, likes and habits".
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are drawbacks to solo gaming but advantages as well.

      Delete