Monday, December 14, 2020

The End is Nigh

 The third day of battle began today.


Apart from various domestic distractions, I've been spending free time on tuning and re-tuning the rules. In part this is because occasionally I forget that I like to enjoy the fun of playing with toy soldiers while trying to capture the feel I get from reading memoires rather than worrying too much about consistency of scale, and details of organization and nomenclature. 


The other reason is that as I put more old toy soldiers on the table, the games were getting longer and less exciting. So I tweaked the rules until they were simple and fun but a bit too quick and abstract. So I tweaked them again, and again.  

Five turns into the third game of this series, its feeling and looking right for what I want and Tuesday looks good for me to have time to finish up the game.

8 comments:

  1. I suppose it's the rules version of no plan surviving past first contact...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the larger plan holds but a lot of the new and improved ideas don't seem to be making it far. So much for innovation and change!

      Delete
  2. How you maintain Version Control is beyond my grasp! Table looks great, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having a day job helps but so does Google docs ability to scroll back through history and to "name" significant versions so I can check back, "did I try X?...yup and ditched it"

      I am pleased with the table but it needs more work! (esp the terrain)

      Delete
  3. From those photos it has the look of an ur-game you're (re)creating here. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I confess I couldn't remember enough about the Royal Ur game and had to go refresh myself, essentially an ancestor of Backgammon, Parchesi etc. Time well spent.

      Not sure about the connection though, this is essentially a conventional wargame of the one stand is a unit sort, (Morschauser, DBA, PW etc), just using a grid because I have trouble reading rulers now!

      Delete
  4. Slowly playing out a game, tweaking the rules and enjoying the narrative, a man after my own heart Ross.
    Always a pleasure to see you table and figures.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, always warms the cockles to come across kindred spirits.

      Delete