Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Shaping the Battlefield

 "Waste not, want not", that's  an old saying that reflects how I was raised. 

I bought many feet of pine boards for use as display shelves 15 years ago when we bought this old farmhouse. A few years later, after I retreated into my current room and sold off or gave away over half of my miniatures and toy soldiers, some of the shelves became various rectangular hill shapes. Now they are beginning to morph into vaguely hex shaped hills as I prepare for battle.

Some of the joints are a little iffy if used to make multi-piece hill complexes, but they work fairly well as stand alone hills and the joints can always be disguised with a little scatter.  

Note that deployed units will face the point of a hex giving them 2 frontal, 2 flank and 2 rear hexes.
 Road columns will face a side and have 1 frontal, 2 flank and 3 rear hex sides.


The new and adjusted bases need a lick of paint, and I'd like to add a new unit or two and get the field hospitals ready and based if I have time. Once that's done, or Friday regardless, the troops will deploy and the dice will begin to roll.

I also clipped my cavalry bases to fit the hex grid, and rebased the guns.

 My initial thought is to start with a small "advance guards clash late in the day" scenario and then follow it up on the weekend by a larger pitched battle with positions determined by the advance guards' clash.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoy seeing vaguely, hex-shaped hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're better than the batch I did 9 yrs ago, I'm making progress!

      Delete
  2. I once tried making hexes - sadly they turned out badly : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hex hills are looking good as is the artillery base. Waste not want not is how I was brought up, though it's turned me into a bit of a hoarder of things that might come in useful one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to see you move from grid to hex. I'm still enjoying the grid, but I think I may move to an offset grid for my 18th and 19th century figures. I do like how your figures look on the hexes and your hills look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an option.
      I tried an off set square grid, briefly, a few years ago. It worked as well as the hex system in many ways, and one square terrain was easy but multi grid terrain items were awkward and making enough one piece items to build up multi square features seemed like almost as much work.

      I did think about it before giving the hexes another go.

      Delete
  5. If you have access to a table saw with an ability to fix angles, these are fairly easy to mass produce accurately. You are only limited by the amount of old siding and boredom level you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have a table saw...... I'm afraid you have missed a key limitation though, the ability to see straight. I have a well proven ability to cut crooked on a saw with the guides set. Amazing really. More of a curse than a blessing.

      However, come spring (the saw lives in a temporary workshop in the woodshed which appears and disappears from time to time) I do hope to finally arrange better access, lighting and storage for tools etc. I bought a fine tooth blade for fine work this years, its in there, somewhere.....

      Delete