Wednesday, December 9, 2020

By the Rocket's Smoky Trail

 Ah, those crazy rockets!

Turn 3 started off with a bit of excitement provided by the often entertaining Naval Rocket Battery.

When rolling for rockets to hit, a "1" indicates a rogue rocket. You then dice for each hex it enters up to its maximimum range: 5,6 veer left, 4 straight on, 2,3 veer right, 1 explode. 

In this case the rocket wove back and forth passing over 3 friendly units while I held my breath, only to make a final sharp turn and explode right on target anyway!

I have high hopes of getting to play the last 12 turns on Thursday.

17 comments:

  1. I do like the look of the rocket and the rules add an enjoyable uncertainty to proceedings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random rocketry adds to the unpredictability!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was a well needed laugh this morning. I haven't managed to field my RHA Rockets for my War of 1812 collection yet, but I may add those rules in just for them.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice photo of the Action Ross- must admit I favor your 'Red' Army...they look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scenarios always look so appealing! How do you do it ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid stuff Ross...
    Rocket batteries do tend to add a certain comedy risk to a game... which I entirely approve of 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great rocket rule, just right! Brings to mind a night at Rainham Wargames club when I was a kid, and a Napoleonic game where a Congreve rocket was employed. The British player must have thrown multiple sixes, 'cos the rocket took out the entire centre file of a French Battalion in 'column of three', leaving a clear lane down the middle and surviving figures no doubt looking at each other,incredulous. One of those moments when all other games stop, and everyone gathers round!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Entertainment value is often the best you can hope for with rockets. Our 18th C. Indian rockets have done at least as much damage to friends as enemy units!

    ReplyDelete