Monday, December 28, 2020

Preparing for the end

 Of the year!  One last game to be played.

It was time to choose what to pick for my traditional Last Game of the Year. A quick review showed that of my 12 Active and Reserve collections, only one has not yet made an appearance on the table this year. OK, that part was quick but somehow I ended up enjoying 2 hours reading posts from the last decade. Anyway, the period, forces and scenario have been chosen. In the process I was reminded that the commander for one side had been transferred to another theatre of operations and had not yet been replaced. 

Oh bleep, I meant to replace the miscast horse ears and reins before priming. Oh well, there will be time tomorrow to do that and paint him up. .

A dig through the boxes of raw castings and spare parts soon turned up a candidate and a suitable head. Tuesday I'll paint him and maybe base up a few more of the enemy then set the table for a Thursday game.


6 comments:

  1. Interesting figure who should paint up well. I really like the fellow in the top hat lurking amongst the plastics in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the PA moulds,one of their Napoleonic civilians but we aren't overly fussy about civilian fashion here. He was cast, assembled and primed uncounted years ago but is edging closer to the head of the queue.

      Delete
  2. How do you fix the figure? Greenstuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my original plan but I went old school. I carved off the surviving rein bits, drilled a hole through the (horse's) mouth and pass a long thin strip of paper through it, securing it back to the tail of the reins in his hand. The ears were then made by drilling a hole on each side of the head then trimming and sanding a tiny piece of toothpick into a horse ear shape and dropping it, searching, starting again, dropping it etc until I eventually managed to glue one in place on each side with a coat of white glue to strengthen and bulk it slightly. This sort of thing was MUCH easier when my eyes were sharper and my hand steadier but "never say die"!

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing the last game of the year will have a colonial vibe? Oh wait, there's a head swap coming, so all bets are off. Rather like that old Buggs Bunny/Elmer Fudd show where all the hats float around and keep changing their personalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not far off Padre but the head swap happened before the picture.

      Delete